Information Design | Project 1: Instructable Poster

 FEILYCIA JOY KURNIAWAN / 0373400 

Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Honors) in Creative Media 

Project 1: Instructable Poster 


TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Lectures

2. Instructions 

3. Instructable Poster

4.  Final Outcome

4. Feedback

5. Reflection


LECTURES

WEEK 4 - Miller's Law Chunking


WEEK 5 - Manuel Lima's 9 Directive Manivesto



INSTRUCTION

Fig. <iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/15jlA5U46fWQlYfTCyo9_yeimmmZgYkl1/preview" width="640" height="480"></iframe>


INSTRUCTABLE POSTER

Ideation

In this task we were asked to make an instruction poster based on one of the recipe in @ Pasta Grannies on Youtube. After watching some of their videos, I decided to do their recipe on Pallotte, a cheesy egg dumpling from Molise.


And then I went to their description box and found their written recipe. But I noticed that in the written recipe, they missed a few ingredients, so later on I added more details to it. 
Recipe link: https://www.pastagrannies.com/recipe/guiseppina-and-ioles-pallotte/

After finalizing on the recipe, I looked for references. 


Next I made some sketches and different layout options for the poster. 


But after trying out several different layouts, I still wasn't satisfied with it. So I asked Mr. Kannan whether I can do it landscape or not, and he said landscape is also allowed. So I started on making the landscape layout, and after a few trials, I was finally happy with it. 



Next I draw out all of the ingredients, process and additional elements that I need for the poster. I drew all of the elements in a separate layer so that it will be easier when I transfer it to AI and AE. 


After finishing all of the elements, I exported the drawings into a PSD file and import it into Adobe Illustrator.

Adobe Illustrator

All imported images are separated into files, and I renamed all layers for easy access for later. I worked on the composition first by referring the sketch I made earlier. 


After laying all of the elements to their places, I tried out listing the instructions and I am really happy with how it turned out. I can see the flow of the instruction clearly and although it looks full, it is not messy. 


Font: Sour Gummy

But even after I like this layout, I made some tweaks especially on the instructions. I wanted to emphasize the flow so that reader won't have a hard time reading them. I also put numbers on the instruction to make it more clear. I also made some tweaks on the placement on some of the graphics just to make it look better and so that it does not overpower the instructions. 

When I'm satisfied with the overall layout, I exported the whole layout and import it back to procreate to make the background. During the last consultation Mr. Kannan told me that it is better if I make the style of the poster is "granny-like", so I decided to do something homey. 


I decided to make a checkered table cloth and drew a piece of paper for me to put the ingredients list. I was debating between the two colors, but after asking around, I decided to use the blue one, cause the red table cloth looks like it overpowers the main focus of the poster. 


I transferred the background back to Adobe Illustrator to finalize everything.
To finalize everything I change the font color, tweak the placement of some elements, put the credits in and added shadows to all of the elements. I also added arrows, and added icons to make it easier for the reader to understand. 


In week 6, Mr Kannan gave minor feedbacks on the overall flow, he said that there is no focus point in the poster. So i added a gradient background so the viewer's attention will automatically directed to the first step

before
 
after

Also I fixed the number 7, since last time it looked too similar with number 1 





FINAL OUTCOME



FEEDBACK 

WEEK 5

General Feedback - The layout is already okay but be more creative on how to separate the instructions so it doesn't clash. Keep in mind that I can do whatever style I want but it is better if I keep the "grandma" feel to it. And lastly, layout composition is also allowed.

WEEK 6

General feedback - His attention is not drawn into 1 point in the poster, so I needed to make the viewer's eyes to catch the first step automatically. The number 7 is too similar with number 1


REFLECTIONS 

This instruction poster project is my favorite among all the projects in this module. I had a lot of fun choosing the instructions and the recipe, and then turning them into visual graphics. I really enjoyed the process of drawing everything and thinking about how to show each step clearly. It was a fun way to turn written information into something visual.

One challenge I had was creating the elements in Procreate and thinking about how I would transfer them to After Effects later. I had to consider how to organize my layers and design the elements so it would be easier to animate them. That was probably the main struggle during the process.

Overall, I am really happy with how the poster turned out. I like the style and the flow of the visuals. I also think this exercise is very useful because it teaches us how to turn written instructions into clear visual communication. I enjoyed the whole process and felt that it helped me practice both illustration and design thinking.

Comments

Popular Posts