Advanced Interactive Design | Final Task: Final Website

  FEILYCIA JOY KURNIAWAN / 0373400 

Advanced Interactive Design / Bachelor of Design (Honors) in Creative Media 

Final Task: Final Website - Unfolding Origami


TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Lectures

2. Instruction

3.Process & Final Outcome

4. Feedback

5. Reflection


LECTURES

Refer to Task 1 Lectures


INSTRUCTION

 



TASK 1 RECAP


Figma Prototype



Iterations 

Even after finishing the prototype and moving into Adobe Animate, I still find website design is not consistent through out the pages so I decided to try to find new references / new perspective to help the website to look more consistent 

Attempts

After some attempts I was still not satisfied with the layout, so I decided to see my old references and I re-discovered 

I decided to try it out for my design and I quite like it.


After some trials for the other page's layouts I decided to use the grid as a part of my design to make it consistent. 


Assets 
For the assets itself, I made myself using Adobe Illustrator. 


Other than graphic assets, I need to look for contents like the history of origami (ORIGIN), meanings of each origami (MEANINGS), and origami in real life uses (BEYOND).

Which I compile in Google Docs. Click here for the docs


Adobe Animate
> HOMEPAGE


I start my website with my Homepage. For the homepage itself, I didn't really change much from the original prototype. 

However I decided to remove the about page and put it in the Homepage as I feel like the About page does not have strong enough content to have it's own page.


For the homepage itself, the main function is just as a landing page, and the origami squares acts as the navigation for other pages


After making the origami squares as buttons, I animate them to come into the frame and add bouncy effect as the come into frame. 

And after some consultation, Mr. Shamsul suggest that I put the grid on the homepage to maintain consistency. 



> NAVIGATION BAR
I also made a big change on the navigation bar. Before the iterations, it was supposed to be on the top right corner and after some consultation, I realized that it can be annoying and it covers too much 


I played around with the grid layout and decided on this navbar, 


When you are on that specific page, the nav bar will have the name of the current page you are on, and when you hover it will change to "menu".

And as you click, a dropdown menu will appear. 



> ORIGIN

As I mentioned before, I made a lot changes on the layout. For the origin itself I plant to have the grid as a place for the information and use a bar as the navigation inside the Origin periods itself. 


For the origin navigation itself, I turn them into buttons and add a hover effect. 


I then made a movie clip to animate them so when user first enter the origin page, the origin navbar will have a revealing animation.


For the content itself, I use mask for the photos and use shape tween for the information boxes. 


I added revealing animation by using the mask, for the initial state, the image was put outside the mask and then add another keyframe with the image inside the frame. 



> MEANINGS
Following my prototype,  this is my previous meanings page layout


After some attempts for the Meanings page layout, I decided to make like this. I used the same UI buttons as the Origin page buttons. But for the information box itself, I keep it on the bottom right corner. 



For the origami elements itself, I made the elements in Adobe Illustrator and export it as PNGs. I then turn the images into buttons, so that when users hover on the origami, it will shift slightly. 

I first need to make the elements to appear in the frame by using classic tween. And for the information box itself, I use the same techniques as the boxes in Origin. 

I used a rectangle and break it down and shape tween it to make this transition so that the content flows smoothly. 


As page transition, every time it change pages, the elements in that certain page will slide into the frame.

This is the final Meanings page layout and interactions.


> CRAFT
In craft, this is where user can see tutorial on how to fold a certain origami. In this case, I used a heart origami tutorial. 

I start with a rectangle in Adobe Animate that I break down and shape tween. 


Dotted lines are used to show folding instructions. For some steps, I can easily do it by rotating or scaling up and down the shape which I put classic tween in it. 

But there are a few steps that I need to edit frame by frame. Due to some shape tween doesn't really work for certain steps, I break down the shape again and change the color to give some contrast. 




In the timeline, I put a bunch of stops which later I will put the forward/back button to navigate users through the steps. Additionally, I also added instruction boxes and I use the same transitions for information boxes as the ones I have in the other pages. 


Lastly, after user are finished with the tutorial, a start again button will appear just to bring them into the start of the tutorial. 



For the script itself, I just put a stop on each step and add wizard on the Actions.



> BEYOND
For this page itself, I was pretty confused on how to do it. Since I wasn't really happy with the outcome in the prototype, I figured I would experiment with the layout in Adobe Animate. At first this is my my trial layout, I was planning to use some sort of slide show for the photos but I find it a little bit too distracting. 


After that, I started playing around with other layout and I find across that I like. 



Keeping it consistent with the other pages, I keep the same transition for the text box using rectangles and shape tween. 


For the pictures itself, I just have a slide up transition and to keep it clean, I use a mask to ensure the border lines are not covered up when the pictures slides up. I also added a bit of delay to have some domino effect on the transition. 

> CONNECTING & UPLOADING
After finishing all of the pages, I just connect the pages using buttons and adding action into it. 


After making sure that all pages are connected and everything works, I uploaded my folder into netlify for publishing. 

> CONNECTING PAGES

*Please maximize your screen when viewing*
Netlify link: https://unfoldingorigami.netlify.app/

Google Drive (ZIP file):  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mBUe4ZprIn_o3octEXn7IXJI5beexNg5?usp=sharing

FEEDBACK 

WEEK 9

General Feedback - Showed Mr Shamsul my homepage and meanings page but Mr shamsul said it does not look consistent, and it is better if I re-do everything before moving on to the next pages

WEEK 10

General Feedback - Finished and showed him my homepage and meanings page with the new layout and he said it is already okay and I can proceed

WEEK 11-12

General Feedback - No class

WEEK 13

General Feedback - Showed my origin page and he said its good and I can proceed 

WEEK 14

General Feedback - Showed my craft page and he said its good and I can proceed 


REFLECTIONS 

Throughout this project, I faced several challenges while using Adobe Animate. At first, I struggled with understanding the program itself, especially when creating interactive elements and connecting different pages. However, the biggest challenge was not only the software, but also figuring out how to organise my assets properly, such as separating layers, creating movie clips, and deciding which elements should be grouped or animated separately. After several trials and mistakes, I slowly became more familiar with the workflow and started to understand how Adobe Animate works better.

Another challenge I faced was the layout design. I found it difficult to arrange the elements in a way that felt balanced and visually satisfying. Although I am not fully happy with the final outcome, I believe this is the best result I could achieve with the time and skills I had. This project made me realise that planning the layout and structure earlier is very important, especially for an interactive website with multiple pages and animations.

Overall, I do regret not using VS Code for this project. If I had known earlier that this type of interactive website could also be created through coding, I might have chosen a different approach or even a different topic that worked better with VS Code. However, Adobe Animate was still an interesting and fun program to explore. Even though I may not use it much in the future, it helped me understand animation, timeline-based interaction, and visual storytelling better.

The feedback from my lecturer was also very useful throughout the process. It helped me improve my concept, refine my content, and make better decisions for the final website. Despite the struggles, this project was a valuable learning experience and I enjoyed the process of creating an interactive origami-themed website.


Comments

Popular Posts